Setting up in Berlin (for EU Citizens)

Here’s a checklist for setting up in Berlin with the authorities.

**Ensure you check all this information in advance in case things have changed, this advice serves only as a rough guide:

**non-EU citizens, especially from the USA and Canada can set up permanently here, but it requires some leg work. check out:

There are a few things EU citizens must do when they arrive if they intend to live in Berlin (if you are simply making a short-term stay of less than 90 in 180 days, then you will not want to go to the trouble). I mention which documents you need to bring to each place. Once you do all these things, the authorities should leave you quite alone (except for taxes)!

1. Register at the Burgeramt in your neighbourhood, to get an Anmeldung Bestätigung (or registration confirmation). You need this document as proof of your residence and to work.
-bring passport and proof of your health insurance (such as a European Health Insurance card). Often proof of emergency health coverage is all you need to start. Do not declare a religion unless you want to risk paying Church Tax.

2. Bank account. You need the Anmeldung Bestätigung and Passport for this. I go to the Berliner Sparkasse, with locations and ATM’s everywhere. It is expensive to use other banks’ ATM’s in Germany.

3. Mobile phone. You need a bank account and Anmeldung Bestätigung to get a contract. I use the BLAU network and pay as you go, which is cheap and can be bought at Media Markt and Saturn (note you will want to set up automatic credit online so you don’t have to return to these stores every time you want credit). With BLAU calls are 9 cents a minute and it’s cheaper to set up monthly plans with them (you can cancel at any time). Companies with better coverage are: Vodaphone, T Mobile…You can buy an unblocked phone for about 20-30 Euros at Media Markt and Saturn (at Alexanderplatz).

4. If you are an EU citizen and have a foreign partner and you wish for that person (same sex or opposite sex) to be able to work and live in Germany, you both need to go to the Auslanderbehörder, or Foreigners’ Office. Fill out the application online, print it, bring two passport photos (must conform to German size regulations), your marriage certificate (or partnership certificate, even if it is from abroad), proof you both have health care, and that the primary applicant has enough funds to support the other. You both need the Anmeldung Bestätigung. Go early to the office (lines form up before it opens) and go directly on the EU section.

5. Health Care: You will need proof of health care to register in Germany, and emergency health coverage will do the trick, usually for the first three months.

Eventually you will need German health care (which is excellent and also pays all your drugs and often lots of extras like dental). But, remember, it’s expensive, and a surprise for people arriving from single payer systems like the UK, Italy or Canada.

Your employer will arrange your health care normally and pay half of the premiums. If you are self employed, there has been a fortunate change in the law.  Premiums in the public health care system used to start around 400 Euros /month for freelancers,  but have since 2019 been reduced about half that amount in the interest of fairness to 190 Euros/month minimum contribution.

Should you go public or private? You will usually get public health insurance (as opposed to private) if you have an employer and make under a certain amount per month. Also, you will get it if you are an artist and apply for it through the Künstlersozialkasse (KSK)… a long and difficult process for which I’d recommend an agent. Your monthly payments can be very reasonable if you are on the KSK.

But getting on public health care can be tricky unless you are moving to Germany from another public system within the EU.

Going private has the advantage of getting more services and being seen sooner by doctors and specialists (you tell them you have private insurance when you make an appointment). This option is actually cheaper than public insurance if you are young and healthy (but expect to pay a lot more if you have pre-existing conditions that they can prove, and when you get older. There are often minimum income levels required as well).

You can choose either an ex-pat plan or a German plan. Ex-pat plans are for people who want flexibility and will eventually return to their home countries and don’t need to be fully integrated into the German health care system. Allianz’s ALC (costs approximately €225 a month for a male 35 year-old, for the ‘platinum’ plan). You can contact Mike Woodiwiss (Tel: 02432-80365, e-mail: ). Not everyone loves this plan, so please check online what people say.

The normal German private insurance scheme is the long-term option. There are many companies. DKV is one (in German, but there are plenty of agents around Berlin you can talk to). The cheapest plan is around €320 / month for a male 35-year old freelancer (up to €550 / month for their best plan). Try calling under “contact” and asking if they speak English. An even better private company is apparently: Debeka Try calling.

6. If you work freelance, you will need to apply for a Tax Number and have this number before you start writing invoices (you need to provide an invoice for every job you do). Fill out a Fragebogen zur steuerlichen Erfassung (find one online by searching for it and “Berlin”) and send it to your nearest Finanzamt. You might want a Steuerberater (or tax advisor) to help you fill out this form and your declarations. You can write off a huge amount in Germany: many people use these advisors to sort out their business expenses (you can save restaurant receipts, for example, provided you discussed business and at least two people were there). Also be aware that if you make under about €17 500 a year then you can choose not to charge your clients VAT (you also avoid monthly forms about VAT to the tax office this way).

Here’s the index to the Moving to Berlin Guide, click on what you want to read next!

-Introduction to the Guide

-Why Berlin?


-Looking for an Apartment

-Property Prices and Rents

-Monthly Costs


-Setting-up Checklist

-Getting Around Berlin

-Where to Learn German?

-Staying Fit

-Media, Films, and Books about Berlin

This is an independent guide to Berlin, with no ghostwritten content and no sponsored links or tips, from The Needle

Never miss a post! Subscribe:  


For a history and portrait of Berlin, do check out my book!

(the author asserts his right to copyright, revised 04/2019)